Have you really thought about what it means to "come in second?" What does it mean to put God first? I definitely live sometimes as though it all depends on me. Recently, while searching for jobs, I have felt like it is all up to me; I'm the one typing in the information on the computer; I'm the one mailing off my resume; I'm the one going to interviews. But is that really true? The Lord has ordained each of those steps; He knew each one before I came to be (Psalm 139). During those times that I take control of my life, I feel like I am under a lot of pressure. I expect to do everything perfectly and when I don't, I feel like a failure. Proof that depending on yourself and not the Lord does not lead you anywhere.
When I think that I absolutely must find the "right" path or the "perfect" choice, my fear is that I will fail and mess things up for my future. But if I truly believed in the sovereignty of God, I would not have this fear. Even if I "mess up," it was all part of God's plan to sanctify me. I am afraid sometimes to simply pray, trust God, and step out in faith because I am afraid I won't get what I want. Do you ever feel this way?
"But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." Psalm 33:11
"I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that mean will revere him." Ecclesiastes 3:14
"I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please." Isaiah 46:10
Do you find comfort in those verses like I do? God has a plan; He has since the beginning of creation and nothing will thwart that. However, the challenge is having faith that God's plan has nothing but good things for me. I often focus on the things that don't go "my" way.
Can you think about one thing in your life that you wish had turned out differently? God never wastes an experience on us; He uses it for our good and His glory.
Have you ever thought about how worry and despair is a sin? The early church fathers did. Francis Chan discusses it in his book Crazy Love as well as Linda Dillow in Calm My Anxious Heart. Worrying is a sin because we aren't trusting the Lord. Wallowing in despair is sin because it is proclaiming we believe God gave up on us. All of this is not true and is against who God is.
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 (I have read that "workmanship" can be translated to "poem." Isn't that beautiful?)
"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6
God created me, and you, for a purpose that He will carry to completion.
Now the practical question is, how will you see your life differently through the lens of God's sovereignty? I try to see every single moment of my life with purpose. I know that if something doesn't "work out," then God has something better for me. Better than my dreams.
In Christ,
Christine ><>
No comments:
Post a Comment